Crawford County Attorney
VICTIM BILL OF RIGHTS
In order to ensure the fair and compassionate treatment of victims of crime and to increase the effectiveness of the criminal justice system by affording victims of crime certain basic rights and considerations, victims of crime shall have the following rights:
- Victims should be treated with courtesy, compassion, and with respect for their dignity and privacy and should suffer the minimum of necessary inconvenience from their involvement with the criminal justice system.
- Victims should receive, through formal and informal procedures, prompt and fair redress for the harm which they have suffered.
- Information regarding the availability of criminal restitution, recovery of damages in a civil cause of action, the crime victims' compensation fund and other remedies, and the mechanisms to obtain such remedies should be made available to victims.
- Information should be made available to victims about their participation in criminal proceedings and the scheduling, progress, and ultimate disposition of the proceedings.
- The views and concerns of victims should be ascertained and the appropriate assistance provided throughout the criminal process.
- When the personal interests of victims are affected, the views or concerns of the victim should, when appropriate and consistent with criminal law and procedure, be brought to the attention of the court.
- Measures may be taken when necessary to provide for the safety of victims and their families and to protect them from intimidation and retaliation.
- Enhanced training should be made available to sensitize criminal justice personnel to the needs and concerns of victims, and guidelines should be developed for this purpose.
- Victims should be informed of the availability of health and social services and other relevant assistance that they might continue to receive the necessary medical, psychological, and social assistance through existing programs and services.
- Victims should report the crime and cooperate with law enforcement authorities.